Being married to my high school sweetheart, Sarah, has been one of the most amazing experiences in my life. She is one awesome girl. As a team, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we are continually working together to become better. A large portion of the reading and studying I do throughout the year relates to books, sermons, and blogs centered around the topic of marriage. As one of the pastors of Vintage Church, I frequently find myself referencing the same principles with single men, engaged couples, and married couples. In this blog I want to share with you 2 short books, a sermon and a music video that are the source for these principles.
“Lead Me” by Sanctus Real
A better marriage involves surrendering to the Holy Spirit’s leading in our life. Surrendering this area of our life to Him has amazing joy and love. Jason Dukes, a pastor friend, wrote a good blog on leading in marriage. Read it HERE. Also check out the story behind “Lead Me” HERE.
- Sex, Romance and the Glory of God by C.J. Mahaney
- This is one of the smallest marriage books out there, but it is packed with practical wisdom from the Mahaneys. There are 2 chapters that I use often. Chapter 3 entitled “Learning, Leading and Loving” discusses the idea that deepening romance physically in our marriage is intertwined with touching our wife’s heart and mind (emotionally connecting). Chapter 4 entitled “How to Make it All Happen” gives some practical suggestions of how C.J. has loved and romanced his wife, Carolyn.
- This Momentary Marriage by John Piper
- This is also a small marriage book. Chapter 4, entitled “Forgiveness and Forbearing,” is one of the most challenging chapters that I have ever read regarding marriage. Piper explains what he calls “The Compost Pile,” which helps guide each of us into Gospel-centered, grace-filled marriages.
- Watch or Listen to the “Forgiveness and Forbearing” sermon by Piper HERE.
- To read this book free in PDF click HERE.
“Sanctification in Marriage” by Matt Chandler. Using 1 Peter 3:1-7 Chandler discusses healthy expectations and relations for both men and women in marriage. There is some real practical application given for every marriage. Listen to this sermon HERE; it might be one of the most life changing hours in your life.
The internet provides a wealth of resources for men to be godly husbands and women to be godly wives. Allow God’s Spirit to use these resources and others you might find to develop your marriage. And honestly, this is a better way to use the internet than any sport videos, hollywood gossip, or social media site that can consume our life. Finally, remember that no matter how bad or good your marriage is currently, our hope is found in the Gospel which breaks through anything to offer repentance, forgiveness, and restoration. Mrs. Brick and I are learning that this is an area that will always require constant cultivation.
Enjoy watching, reading, listening, and then loving.
Our Vintage Church Marriage Retreat is August 23 from 7-10pm. For more information or to register click HERE.